Board Meeting, 12-10-2013

Merifield Acres Landowners' Association, December 10, 2013

 

Call to Order

was at 7:01 PM.

 

Present

Board Members:  Nola Adler, Rick Baldwin, Butch Cheatham, Chris Crouse, Mike Gupton, FJ Hale, David Hammer, Annie Hensley, Kevin Hensley, Jim Monaco, Bill Smith, John Stinson, DeWitt Vanarsdale

 

Guests:  Ken Catlett, Sambo Lewis, Ben Jackson

Approval of Minutes

from the August 13, 2013 Meeting – no Oct. 2013 meeting - (posted on www.MerifieldAcres.org) was made without dissent.

 

Treasurer's Report

Chair Annie Hensley reported the checking account has $41,040.34; CD $83,925.61 and the investment account $119,294.25.

 

Old Business

President's Comments:  Chris Crouse mentioned the annual meeting was a good one and people seemed satisfied.  New residents showed up.  Future BoD meetings will be at the library.

Secretary's Report:  Nola Adler had nothing to report.

 

Open Forum

Dewitt Vanarsdale asked about the trees being marked near the entrance, and Sambo Lewis said the land is being evaluated at this time – it is 5-7 acres of Lewis land and not part of MALA.

Sambo Lewis asked about the lot clearing of a property off Hazelnut, it being an eyesore, and if the house met minimum conditions per the covenants.  He also asked if the covenants restricting trailers, tractors, mobile home, and abandoned vehicles being on the lots are being ignored or not enforced.  In particular, the abandoned trailer on the Foote property with outdated tags – why is it still there?  Discussion ensued.  FJ Hale volunteered to write a registered letter to Foote and follow up with a court complaint as a lot owner.  A motion was made, seconded and passed without dissent to reimburse FJ for any costs.

Committee Reports

Appearance and Beautification

Chair Butch Cheatham thanked Annie Hensley, Shar Cheatham, Chip Overton & Jim Burke for the help decorating the front entrance.  Keys to the maintenance facility were redone for a replacement lock, and he gave copies to Jim Monaco (Common Grounds Chair) & Mike Gupton (Roads Chair). The asphalt island at Merifield & Lakepoint needs additional reflectors or reflective paint so night time drivers don’t hit the island.  Jim Monaco will take care of it.

Architectural Committee Report

Chair Kevin Hensley reported there have been no new requests since last meeting and nothing is under review. 

Aviation

Chair FJ Hale reported he called the FAA about the light on the Burlington chimney stack being out and the bureaucratic wheels are turning to get it turned back on.  The VA Airport Owners Association set up some time ago has not had any meetings so far.  FJ will adjust the windsock to capture breezes.  The work at LCRA is in support of the new AWOS (weather reporting system) and future construction, just as an FYI.

Common Areas and Facilities

Chair Jim Monaco reported on the new road signage.  All work should be done in 2 weeks.  Any issues, report asap.

Deer Control

Chair Scott Diamond reported six kills.

Roads and Maintenance

Chair Mike Gupton reported he received feedback at the annual meeting about culverts needing attention, and he checked them out.  The culverts near the Lyons and by Baldwins are filling up, and one on Occoneechee is too but that one also needs a deeper ditch.  Mike will get the fire department to clear those culverts.  The one by Baldwins has a tree at the entrance/exit of the culvert that needs to be downed first, which Rick Baldwin volunteered to do.  Other ditches will also be scraped as needed by Mike Hite, now that mowing season is over and Mike has more time. 

Security

Chair David Hammer had nothing to report. 

Welcoming

There is a new chair, Kathy Diamond, but she had nothing to report. 

Communication

Directory

There is currently no chair.  Nola Adler said she had the raw data and will try to pull something into a distributable format. 

Email

There is currently no chair.

News

Chair Nola Adler has nothing to report.

Website

There is currently no chair, but Jim Monaco said the Colonel (Richard Alley??) on Elm was willing to help out.  Nola will contact him.

 

New Business

Jim Monaco reported he got a call about signs being posted in yards so he went to the signs, called the parties and got the signs removed by the ones who put them up.

Ken Catlett requested clarification about new home construction, and was told that only the main contractor can have a sign near the house.  No subcontractors signs are allowed.

Annie Hensley said Mr. Taneka would like to sell his property.  Nola said she’d put the info on the website.

Adjournment

was at 8:03.